How effective are we ?
What We Know about ourselves
- Hailey Hall School is a converter Academy Special School and Specialist Sports College for boys aged 11-16. We cater for boys who have learning, social, emotional and behavioural and mental health difficulties (SEMH). The school meets the needs of all our pupils who have a Statement of Special Educational Needs or an Educational Health and Care Plan.
- Since the last inspection the profile of the school has changed. An increasing number of pupils are entitled to Free School Meals (30.99%) against 28.9% in state funded Secondary Schools. 4 pupils are CLA (5.63%). The proportion of pupils who are disadvantaged, i.e. Pupil Premium Pupils, is 56.33%. We also now have an increasing percentage of pupils with mental health issues.
- Our vision is to be an outstanding school which offers a safe and stimulating learning environment, where pupils are able to develop socially, academically and emotionally, in order for pupils to attain and achieve their full potential, becoming effective citizens and life-long learners.
- The school has 71 day places and up to 20 weekly boarding places which support the young person's education and care. The pupils spend varying amounts of the week in the provision.
- Extended day is available to all pupils.
- The school population is drawn from all parts of Hertfordshire and Essex, especially the larger urban areas. The urban areas contain socio-economically deprived housing estates. The rural areas contain small primary schools or larger secondary schools that cater for wide geographical catchments. We also draw pupils from similar estates in the large urban areas of Hemel Hempstead, Stevenage, and Bishop’s Stortford.
- The school operates its own transport system with all Hertfordshire drivers employed by the school. Transportation of Essex pupils is organised by Essex County Council.
- All staff are trained in Hertfordshire STEPs, which is a behaviour management approach that teaches de-escalation and physical intervention techniques.
For information about the Pupil Premium please click here
Year 7 Literacy and Numeracy Catch-Up Premium Funding
For details on our Year 7 Literacy and Numeracy Catch-Up Premium Funding please click here
Please see here for DfE School performance tables
Attainment Report to Governors on Key Stage 4 Data click here
For information on our Pupil Destinations please click here
More information relating to Hertfordshire’s local offer can be found by using this link here
What People Think About Us
Latest Ofsted Reports
Parent Comments from questionnaires:
'RW is a changed boy! Thank you'
'Weekly emails are helpful'
'Potential bullying is always reported'
'He enjoys every minute'
'I would recommended this school to another parent - and I have done!'
Quote from Etienne Stott, the Gold Medallist, London 2012 English Slalom canoeist, after attending our Year 11 Leavers Assembly.
"I would just like to reiterate what I said to you just before I left: I was very moved by the words of you and your staff. The emotion and messages to the leavers gave lie to the dedication, passion and belief that you have all clearly given to the task of creating a space for these lads to grow in. I was also touched by the reactions of the leavers. It was clear that some of them found the situation a bit uncomfortable to deal with, but I would see in each of them a pride in their achievements and a warmth to the staff which I might not have expected. I probably can’t really imagine their journeys, but it was clear to me that they are far better equipped for their next phase in life due to their attendance at Hailey Hall".